Skip to main content

Lexington images

Together with my good friend Dorathy and armed solely with our trusty cameras, we went for a wander. Lexington, Columbia and Irmo are in a very much land-locked area, 120 miles inland with no sea or ocean to dip so much as a toe into. There is, however a beach. The local parks service decided to install a beach on the shore of Lake Murray. Now Lake Murray isn't really a lake in its own right. It is in fact a huge dam that was built in the 1930s to provide water and hydro-electric power to the emerging city of Columbia. 

The dam comprises a huge wall about a mile long that snakes between what were originally two hills. The valley that became the dam used to be populated and apparently those that dive beneath the surface of the waters can find buildings and roads still in existence. 

More recently there was a successful attempt to remove "The Lake Murray Bomber" which was a 2nd world war bomber that crashed into the water on a practice low-level bombing run over water. Surprisingly, the pilot was still alive and attended the delivery of his old plane to the land. The air-accidents people then investigated the engines as apparently it had been put down in the lake rather than risk a crash on land due to engine failure. 

Juicy little details came out from that crash. Apparently in the cockpit they found a watch given to the pilot by his lady. She was apparently furious that he'd lost it in the crash because she had a year left to pay for it. It was returned to her since she was still alive. Surprisingly there are apparently another 4 bombers at the bottom of the lake.

Lake Murray beach
Lake Murray beach

Lake Murray beach
Lake Murray beach
We proceeded away from Lake Murray - the beach was pretty crowded and the car park was full as was the overflow car park. There were even cars parked on all the available surrounding space beside the roads. Continuing toward Lexington we found another haven off the lake which had a boat storage facility. There I saw this neat little concrete circular table and chairs set. That was intriguing as I have never seen this before.

Lake Murray marina
Lake Murray marina

View from Lake Murray marina
View from Lake Murray marina

Lake Murray marina
Lake Murray marina
Lake Murray Marina had multi-storey boat storage, which surprised me. I have never seen that before. It does make sense though - speedboats really are not that big. The storage facility seemed to have room to put 4 or 5 levels of boats albeit small speedboat-styled boats.

Heading into Lexington itself and we encountered the old mill. This was originally a water mill. The mill pond is still in existence as are many of the components. It was abandoned many years ago and has only recently begun to be redeveloped. It now houses many small businesses and a restaurant.

The old mill in Lexington
The old mill in Lexington


The old mill in Lexington
The old mill in Lexington

Close to the old mill is what I presume was the old sluice-gate control building. There's a huge sluice gate hidden in the vegetation on the other side of the buildings below that's guarded by a huge fence and lots of barbed wire. Clearly people are not supposed to go there. Although there is a pathway that has been forced through, I did not venture there - it was just too darned hot to be bothered. It was June after all!

Sluice-gate control building
Sluice-gate control building
The sluice-gate control building was in two parts - a brick-built part that looks usable and in good condition and a wooden addition that has been built on stilts. That's actually a two storey affair that is showing the ravages of time. If people were still in the habit of heating their homes with wood fires then I would imagine that would provide several people with fuel for the winter. It does not appear to be under any kind of preservation order like many old wooden buildings in the US. Equally, it does not seem to have been vandalized. The stilts it stands on are steel and therefore it's not likely to collapse down into the car park below any time soon.


Sluice-gate control building
Sluice-gate control building
Clearly this building is in dire need of some tender loving care. Having said that, I think the wooden part is more than likely going to collapse totally before very many winters are out. That would be a real shame as it has character.

Sluice-gate control building
Sluice-gate control building
I notice that since I last photographed the above building, 3 months ago, that there seems to be a huge chunk of wood missing from the side. At this rate, it won't be too long before the whole building goes missing. Check out the January photo below.

Sluice-control building a few months earlier
Sluice-control building a few months earlier


Below is a photo of a rather cute looking general store. That's just across the road from the old mill dam. If that dam were to breach, that store would be gone in an instant.  I just don't understand people wanting to live and build below dams or on flood plains.

General store in Lexington
General store in Lexington
Deeper inside Lexington, there's an old abandoned home. It clearly hasn't been used in a good many years so goodness knows how many nasty insects and animals now live within its confines. It is very interesting to note though that the old galvanized iron buckets etc are still on the porch. This is one of the things I regret most about Britain. Anything left will be stolen or vandalized within days. Here, in this part of the US in particular, this does not seem to be such an issue. Indeed, in the 7 or 8 years I have lived in the US, I have seen nothing much in the way of crime.

Abandoned building, Lexington
Abandoned building, Lexington

Leaving Lexington, we headed toward West Columbia whereupon we encountered beside the road an old abandoned filling station. This must have been a relic from the 1930s

Abandoned filling station US 1
Abandoned filling station US 1

It was apparently owned by somebody called Corley. The old fuel pumps had long since gone. I suspect that there were no pumps in the traditional sense of the word but rather a barrel that had a hand cranked pump attached and that there was a supply of barrels of fuel.

Abandoned filling station US 1
Abandoned filling station US 1
Sadly, this lovely old building was burned to the ground a few days after this photograph was taken. It was worth - to my mind - preserving as it was such a relic of the past. The Corelys who owned the land
were huge landowners in the area. There are roads named after them and in fact large tracts of woodland. I gather the family is still quite powerful in the area. It's just such a shame they didn't act to preserve history.

And thus concludes a wander along 20 miles of road from Lake Murray dam toward West Columbia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston - a 1 day wander

This was a quick wander I did around Charleston, on my way to and from a business meeting. As it was a business meeting, I didn't really have enough spare carrying space for my digital SLR so I took my trusty superzoom compact. It wasn't a long wander because I had to head back to Lexington for another meeting later in the day. I spared a couple of hours though. Old-style prison transport In the good old days, prisoners were piled into these iron caged wagons together with a slop bucket and taken en masse from the courthouse to the jail or vice versa. Needless to say, the wagons were horse-drawn. When you look at modern prison transport, very little has changed. The bad guys still need to be shackled and they still need to be held in iron cages. The old prison This is, I believe, Charleston's old prison. This is pretty much where I found the old prison wagon. There is another in much better condition parked outside Lexington prison. One day I should go and ph

Snow falls in Lexington

This is probably the third time in 7 winters that I have known snow fall in South Carolina. It's the second decent snowfall I've seen though. The first was barely enough to be called a heavy frost. This, however, was enough that I could go out and take some really nice photos. Because things are so far apart in this part of the US and because the roads were quite slippery, I didn't venture too far. I went as far as the old mill and wandered around there for a while - until I began to get cold which was pretty much when I called it a day. The old mill in the snow The old sluicegatehouse in the snow The sluice mechanism For some unknown reason my camera had a hard time focussing here. I'm not happy with the result. This is, of course, my old Canon XT. It's usually pretty good with focus. This time I just don't know what it has done. The house where I rent a room This is the house that I rent a room in. The landlady is quite nice a

The beach

Fred rang me one crisp early morning. Let's go down to the beach. It was bitterly cold but undaunted I hopped into my SUV and he hopped into his pose-mobile and off we zoomed from our respective domiciles. A few short hours later we arrived at the beach and what a blooming cold day it was too. I think we spent all of about 10 minutes on the beach, at severe risk of frostbite. See how well wrapped-up other beachgoers were! The sky was pretty clear and made the biting cold of the day even more penetrating than normal.  The cold didn't seem to be affecting the flowers though had I been a flower I assure you I would have been withered, wrinkly and dried-up by the intensity of the cold. Global warming is nonsense - we're in the middle of the new Ice Age. Needless to say, this wasn't the longest day trip ever. I think the drive was far longer than the time spent at the beach. Now the drive back was quite interesting... On the way back I paused for fu