Skip to main content

Watching the storm rolling in

One fine day I set out for Myrtle Beach from my home in Lexington intending to view all the tourist attractions. The first day was beautiful with wonderful weather and a wonderful evening scene as the moon ascended over the water. It was such a romantic evening as I sat on a bench on the promenade, watching the scene unfolding before my eyes.

Myrtle Beach at night
Myrtle Beach at night

The moon on its own that night was beautiful. A few clouds in the sky failed to obscure the wonderful illumination of the waves. It was interesting to see the color of the water changing to match the color of the clouds in the foreground. That evening was really balmy with a slight cool breeze coming in off the Atlantic.

The Atlantic at night
The Atlantic at night

The next day started fairly promisingly but soon clouds began to form over the ocean and a stiff breeze whipped the waves from their normal gentle roll into more of a frenzy. The white horses began breaking over the beach as the tide began to turn. Even the seagulls that inhabit the area seemed to seek shelter.

A storm brews over Myrtle Beach
A storm brews over Myrtle Beach

The skies got darker as the clouds got thicker and more intense. The temperature dropped and a gentle mist began to fall, rendering the whole seen very hazy. It was wet - the kind of wet that soaks you to the skin without realizing it. It was also cold. I was so glad I'd got a good rainproof jacket in my car and a plastic bag to put over my camera. Oh yes, they do sell those expensive waterproof cameras and even waterproof hoods to put over cameras but plastic bags are free with every purchase from pretty much any shop. Secured with an elastic band, they keep out pretty much any downpour.

The storm over Myrtle Beach
The storm over Myrtle Beach

The horizon began to lighten which seemed promising but sadly it was not to last because not soon after that it began to get darker again. Considering it was mid-afternoon, most people just went home, leaving the beach totally deserted. I can handle deserted. It means I don't have to worry about people getting in the way of my photographs of a lonely beach scene! 

The storm over Myrtle Beach
The storm over Myrtle Beach

After this, the sky went almost completely black for a while as the rain teemed down, causing a very faint rainbow to appear - if you look hard to the left of the image below, you might be able to see it. 

The storm over Myrtle Beach
The storm over Myrtle Beach

At this point, feeling somewhat chilled, I too packed up and went back to my hotel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston - a 1 day wander

This was a quick wander I did around Charleston, on my way to and from a business meeting. As it was a business meeting, I didn't really have enough spare carrying space for my digital SLR so I took my trusty superzoom compact. It wasn't a long wander because I had to head back to Lexington for another meeting later in the day. I spared a couple of hours though. Old-style prison transport In the good old days, prisoners were piled into these iron caged wagons together with a slop bucket and taken en masse from the courthouse to the jail or vice versa. Needless to say, the wagons were horse-drawn. When you look at modern prison transport, very little has changed. The bad guys still need to be shackled and they still need to be held in iron cages. The old prison This is, I believe, Charleston's old prison. This is pretty much where I found the old prison wagon. There is another in much better condition parked outside Lexington prison. One day I should go and ph

Snow falls in Lexington

This is probably the third time in 7 winters that I have known snow fall in South Carolina. It's the second decent snowfall I've seen though. The first was barely enough to be called a heavy frost. This, however, was enough that I could go out and take some really nice photos. Because things are so far apart in this part of the US and because the roads were quite slippery, I didn't venture too far. I went as far as the old mill and wandered around there for a while - until I began to get cold which was pretty much when I called it a day. The old mill in the snow The old sluicegatehouse in the snow The sluice mechanism For some unknown reason my camera had a hard time focussing here. I'm not happy with the result. This is, of course, my old Canon XT. It's usually pretty good with focus. This time I just don't know what it has done. The house where I rent a room This is the house that I rent a room in. The landlady is quite nice a

Edisto Gardens near Orangeburg SC

For a long time I wanted to visit Edisto Gardens and had been waiting for an excuse. I just woke one morning with no particular plan in mind and decided to find Edisto Gardens - even though there would be precious little in bloom at this time of year. I jumped into my SUV alone this time and roared off following my GPS to a vague address that I had pulled off the internet for the gardens. Anybody that knows me and my GPS will realize that when I say vague, I'm lucky to end up on the correct side of the state let alone the right address. I have an elderly TomTom unit that takes forever to lock onto satallites - I'm talking about ten minutes at times. Then it gets me to the general area before becoming somewhat of a muddle on the specifics, frequently misplacing my location by a few streets. It's pretty awful for accuracy but I own it, I paid for it and I've been using it for several years. I shall continue to use it until it ceases to function despite the inaccurate maps