Skip to main content

Winnsboro, South Carolina

I was awoken by the sound of heavy rain against my window. The more I listened, the less like rain it sounded. It was very peculiar. I stumbled up to investigate and found the sun was shining brightly for it was 7AM. I peered through my bleary eyes and saw Mad Mike standing below gesticulating. I stumbled down the stairs covering my modesty with a hastily dragged-on dressing gown and opened the door. It turned out that Mad Mike wanted to go out for a photo jaunt. He sat himself down in my kitchen and helped himself to some coffee and by the time I'd stayed in the shower long enough to get wet and dragged on some clothes, he'd polished off the content of the cookie jar and was looking around for more. I swear that guy is an urban waste disposal unit!

We leapt into my SUV, cameras ready and roared along US1 until we reached I20 and from there thundered toward Winnsboro and the Railway Museum where they were having a steam open day. We drove further and further out into the countryside. Clearly some of Winnsboro isn't too great because we passed quite a few shops with sturdy steel bars over the windows. It certainly didn't have the feel of a prosperous area. Perhaps that's why, when we arrived at the museum, they had chained some of their rolling stock to the track.
Padlocked to the track!
Padlocked to the track!
I did wonder why somebody would padlock a train to the track. It's not as though somebody who'd come with enough equipment to take the train wouldn't be supplied well enough with equipment that would make short work of that tiny little chain and padlock.
The train arrives
The train arrives
It wasn't long before the train arrived. The schedule was for it to depart around 1:30pm and we'd arrived a little early so we spent a happy hour or so wandering through some of the exhibits. Now the really interesting stuff we were not actually permitted to go and see though I suspect on a weekday when nobody is around at the museum, it would be quite possible to have a good wander, unsupervised. Clearly safety is something they take great pains with. Following the train was a diesel train containing a water tanker. Attached to the tanker and out of the frame was another wagon with staff prepared to spray water on any fires that started beside the tracks. Despite the steam engine having a spark arrester, sparks sometimes get out and cause brush fires. Apparently in the old days of the railway, the trees were cut well back.

The train steams
The train steams
While the train awaited its departure time, steam billowed in wonderful clouds from the cylinders and smoke projected upward in a black plume from the chimney.
Black plume
Black plume
I had to hang off the end of a caboose to take the above photo. It wasn't so easy and I've just missed the guy who was lying underneath the train attending to something.

Fire train
Fire train
The inclusion of a second train to fight fires apparently resulted in a lower insurance premium. It's interesting to note that this particular diesel engine was apparently owned originally by the US airforce. Would would have thought the air force would have needed a train!

Warning sign
Warning sign
The emphasis on safety is put everywhere. While the small crowd there this time didn't have any chance of causing problems, the biggest problem is not that an accident will occur but that a single accident caused by somebody not reading the signs and getting quite rightfully squished by a train will give the whole thing a bad reputation.

The train left as swiftly as it had come and we wandered through the open exhibit trains. There were several carriages all linked together as a train. They desperately needed maintenance as parts were literally hanging off them. Of course, this is precisely why modern trains have replaced the quaint old trains. They're quaint but need ten times the maintenance. 
Sleeping berth
Sleeping berth
The first carriage was a combination of three or four quite spacious cabins, each with its own hand basin, toilet and bed/seat. The cabins were a little small by today's standards - I have seen larger on trains in the former USSR but on the other hand, the Soviet track gauge is wider which means their trains are that much more spacious.  

Dining section
Dining section
 I had not anticipated seeing a full dining table laid out in the centre of the carriage. In this way, it's very reminiscent of Stalin's personal coach which I saw when I was in Latvia a decade ago. I knew such things did exist though I suspect this was one of the more economical versions as it didn't have the rich mahogany that I had expected.

The kitchen
The kitchen
The far end of what was clearly the luxury carriage had a small kitchen built in. Ignoring the incredibly fake looking "food" that's there, I cannot imagine what it must have been like working in such a tiny space. I would imagine after a day working there, all you'd want to do would be to scream. It was incredibly small - certainly not big enough to toss a pancake with any ease.

The caboose
The caboose
The next wagon in the train was the post van. I failed to get any decent photos in there. They looked good on the LCD screen but weren't shape enough for my liking when I got home so I won't include them. Thus I move on now to the last carriage - there were another couple but they were very so-so with one having been turned into an exhibit hall with pegboard secured to the walls. Essentially they were used as storage with a few things put on display so that people could see them. I didn't see the point of photographing a luggage cart that should have been on the platform but which was instead just dumped inside a ropey-looking carriage.

Cattle wagon
Cattle wagon

A little further down was yet another carriage but with steel plates welded over the windows. One can only imagine what kind of state that was like inside. I did vaguely wonder whether the asbestos had been removed from all the carriages as that was an incredibly popular material to use when these were first built as people didn't realize the risks they posed to human health. Next to that was a semi-open wagon which I presume was used for cattle. It looked quite impressive against the azure sky.

The big one!
The big one!
Right down at the head of the museum train was a big steam engine. Apparently it's currently out of service awaiting its 10 year boiler rectification. Steam engines are very robust - hence so many have survived for over a hundred years but as with all the old stuff, they need a lot of maintenance. They need daily if not hourly oiling and greasing. It is little wonder that the train companies now all use diesel engines. It seems that the engine currently in use has been loaned from another preservation group.

Fall colors
Fall colors

I just liked the colors in this photo. It's one of the spare wagons together with some fall foliage and some people in colorful safety vests. There's nothing special other than the colors.


Road/Rail conversion
Road/Rail conversion

Wandering through the maintenance section, I saw one of the convertible road/rail vehicles. These, one does not normally see. I've normally only seen them when I have been driving past without a camera. It's possible to see here how it actually works. I'm still not sure how the driving system works though. I omitted the chance to look at the rear end because my attention was taken by the truck below.

Elderly truck
Elderly truck
This is apparently for sale. I wonder why - the thing looks a complete wreck. Having said that, I would not mind betting that if somebody replaced the wing that's fallen off, it could still go a few rounds with the best.
We are not alone!
We are not alone!
There was a little crowd there and we packed up after a couple of hours. Several gentlemen were there with their zoom compacts like the fellow above. It was interesting to note that the men were using zoom compacts or digital SLRs while the ladies were using cameras built into phones. I wonder what that means.

So, bidding the place adieu, we climbed back into my SUV and roared off down the almost empty roads. For a Saturday, the roads were exceptionally empty. I would have expected more people.

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston - a 1 day wander

This was a quick wander I did around Charleston, on my way to and from a business meeting. As it was a business meeting, I didn't really have enough spare carrying space for my digital SLR so I took my trusty superzoom compact. It wasn't a long wander because I had to head back to Lexington for another meeting later in the day. I spared a couple of hours though. Old-style prison transport In the good old days, prisoners were piled into these iron caged wagons together with a slop bucket and taken en masse from the courthouse to the jail or vice versa. Needless to say, the wagons were horse-drawn. When you look at modern prison transport, very little has changed. The bad guys still need to be shackled and they still need to be held in iron cages. The old prison This is, I believe, Charleston's old prison. This is pretty much where I found the old prison wagon. There is another in much better condition parked outside Lexington prison. One day I should go and ph

Snow falls in Lexington

This is probably the third time in 7 winters that I have known snow fall in South Carolina. It's the second decent snowfall I've seen though. The first was barely enough to be called a heavy frost. This, however, was enough that I could go out and take some really nice photos. Because things are so far apart in this part of the US and because the roads were quite slippery, I didn't venture too far. I went as far as the old mill and wandered around there for a while - until I began to get cold which was pretty much when I called it a day. The old mill in the snow The old sluicegatehouse in the snow The sluice mechanism For some unknown reason my camera had a hard time focussing here. I'm not happy with the result. This is, of course, my old Canon XT. It's usually pretty good with focus. This time I just don't know what it has done. The house where I rent a room This is the house that I rent a room in. The landlady is quite nice a

Edisto Gardens near Orangeburg SC

For a long time I wanted to visit Edisto Gardens and had been waiting for an excuse. I just woke one morning with no particular plan in mind and decided to find Edisto Gardens - even though there would be precious little in bloom at this time of year. I jumped into my SUV alone this time and roared off following my GPS to a vague address that I had pulled off the internet for the gardens. Anybody that knows me and my GPS will realize that when I say vague, I'm lucky to end up on the correct side of the state let alone the right address. I have an elderly TomTom unit that takes forever to lock onto satallites - I'm talking about ten minutes at times. Then it gets me to the general area before becoming somewhat of a muddle on the specifics, frequently misplacing my location by a few streets. It's pretty awful for accuracy but I own it, I paid for it and I've been using it for several years. I shall continue to use it until it ceases to function despite the inaccurate maps